How Many Hours Can Full Time Student Work In UK?
How Many Hours Can Full Time Student Work In UK? The Full Facts are here. Considering the nature of global economy if you’re studying in the UK as an international student, you should be doing some jobs to assist yourself. That is why you are allowed to work for up to 20 hours maximum per week. This is during term-time and full-time during holiday breaks.
However, you do need to consider the restrictions in place for you to work whilst studying. These are also covered in this write-up. We have been able to do some research and are here to advise you on the ins and outs of working whilst being a full-time student in UK. Our points are marshalled out below.
- 1 Related Posts:
- 1.1 The Facts on How Many Hours Can Full Time Student Work In UK?
- 1.2 Tier 4 Visa:
- 1.3 Jobs you won’t be able to do
- 1.4 Exemptions on How Many Hours Can Full Time Student Work In UK?
- 1.5 Read Also for How Many Hours Can Full Time Student Work In UK?
- 1.6 Summing Up on How Many Hours Can Full Time Student Work In UK?
- What happens if I work over 20 hours on a student visa UK
- How many hours can a full time student work
- UK student visa working hours
- How many hours can international students work in UK
- Can student work more than 40 hours in summer break in UK
- Can student work full-time during holidays in CANADA
- gov.uk student working hours
The Facts on How Many Hours Can Full Time Student Work In UK?
- If you’re from a non-EU/EEA country, or Switzerland, you don’t need to apply for permission to work in the UK.
- Your eligibility to work in the UK whilst studying depends on two main restrictions, those set by state-run official institutions and those set by your own university.
- It really all depends on the course you’re studying, and whether your university may limit your working hours aside from government restrictions.
- In a nutshell, a student can work 20 hours in any given week during term time if you are studying a full-time program at degree level and above.
- If you’re studying a full-time program below degree level it’s 10 hours and full time during holiday periods and after your program end date (until your visa expires.)
Tier 4 Visa:
This visa is the official student visa in the UK, all conditions are printed out on the Tier 4 sticker, including the hours you can work during term time.
When you receive your residence permit paperwork, you’ll be able to see if you’re able to work or not whilst studying.
If any of the below is stated in the letter, you can work in the UK:
- Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State
- Work as in Tier 4 Rules
- Restricted as in Tier 4 Rules
- Work must be autahorised
- Restricted work – Part-time during term-time, Full-time during vacations
- Restricted work time
- Work limited to 10 hours per week at maximum during term-time
Jobs you won’t be able to do
There are certain types of jobs paid or not paid, that you won’t be able to do when you have a tier 4 visa, these jobs include:
- Full-time permanent job
- Self-employed or freelance
- Initiate a business activity
- Professional sportsperson including sport coach
- Work as a dentist or doctor in training, except if you’re part of a foundation programme.
Exemptions on How Many Hours Can Full Time Student Work In UK?
- If a work placement is mandatory for the course you’re studying, you’re allowed to work for less than 33% of the whole duration of your course. There are exemptions to this rule however, listed below:
- Work placement is an important part of the course you study and there’s a UK statutory requirement that allows you to exceed the limit.
- Your study course is part of a study abroad programme and it’s at RQF 6 or SCQF levels, which means you’re allowed to work up to 50% of the total length of your studies.
- You’re a Tier 4 (Child) aged 16 or above, so you’re allowed to work up to 50% of the total length of your studies.
Are there any other restrictions?
University guidelines recommend a limit of 15 hours per week for undergraduate and postgraduate taught students. Postgraduate research students should work no more than 9 hours a week also.
What are my vacation periods?
- If you’re an undergraduate student at university, you’ll have three vacation periods, winter, spring and summer!
- Postgraduate students get winter and spring, the summer vacation period doesn’t apply for postgraduates as you’re expected to study for your dissertation.
Do not work full time during this period.
Read Also for How Many Hours Can Full Time Student Work In UK?
- UK, USA, Canada, Australia Scholarships to apply
- Foreign Scholarship maters
- UK, USA, Canada Tourist and student Visas
- Recruitment tips
- Professional Tips
- Get Wealth growth Inspiration here
Summing Up on How Many Hours Can Full Time Student Work In UK?
In conclusion, with this post you now know what to do and what not to do. Working hours, study time and holiday period are specified. Some of them we will be expanding in the next episode. Would you therefore, bookmark this page for your future updates. Then, sharing this for us is a good way to participate in this exercise. Then follow us on our social network platforms.